Friday 5 December 2014

hummingbirds....



















Every class has its fair share of active kids. You know the ones.

This year I have a few I have come to think of as my little hummingbirds. In perpetual motion. Flitting from one thing to another. Never landing. Never slowing down long enough to let anything stick.

Recently I've noticed that my most active "hummingbird" barely eats at school. And what he does eat is all sugar and simple carbs. So... sugar and sugar. I started to wonder: if he had a little protein in his tummy, would that slow him down a little bit? Maybe give his little body something to work on besides movement?

I looked on WebMD last night, and it suggests a high protein diet for kids and adults with ADHD.

So today I took in a tray of meats and cheeses to share with the whole class, but notably with a chosen few. I'm not sure how much it helped, but I think I'll continue the experiment for a little while.

Maybe I can get my "hummingbirds" to alight long enough for me to teach them something....


No comments:

Post a Comment